Gone Fishin'

Thursday, September 21, 2006

i never ever saw the northern lights

Just a small note to say that I am back in the lower 48. I got into Port Angeles yesterday after a long day of travel from Sitka. It has been a long time since I have been able to completely relax so I will spend at least a couple days here. After gaining at least eight pounds in upper body muscle (thanks to handling about 4500 fish this summer) and fat (thanks to the cookie habit Ron pushed on me) plus a 5 pound laptop, the bike is a hell of a lot heavier than I remember. Not to mention the fact I have scarcely ridden since the beginning of June. I did ten miles this morning and on the short list of complaints: sore ass, back, thighs, and, forearms.

I meet my Dad in Seattle on the 1st to begin the trip south. That gives me a few days to get back in shape. The old man was worried about keeping up with me, but me thinks he might have the upper hand after all my time out of the saddle. No real definite plans until then besides calling again on Andrew and Clare for a couple days.

What can I say of the last few months aboard the Ocean Dancer? It was in my eyes a trial, a test of character and will power. A few superlative statements come to mind. I have never worked that hard, felt so isolated, been so tired, felt more sick, or been as terrified as I had been for moments or days since I boarded that boat in June. On the flip side , though, I have never seen so many glorious sunrises and sunsets or the moon so strikingly reflected off of massive glaciers sliding into the sea, never felt the excitement of an approaching storm visible miles away on the horizon, or had as much fun as landing big king salmon, never met such an odd an interesting lot as the alaskan fishing community, or spent so much time lost in quiet contemplation and introspection. A summer to remember and perhaps to repeat some day.

My dad has a pretty detailed itenerary to reach Coos Bay in Southern Oregon by the tenth of October where he is scheduled to fly out of. Left to my own devices I estimate another ten to twenty days to get back to the Bay area for an arrival in late October.


Just a single picture today. This is Ron's fishing buddy's boat the Ocean Home all lit up at dusk as we anchored in Whale Bay.

4 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back. You were missed.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude come over and hang out.

we miss you EVERY TIME.

what's a battle?

oh by the way i'm the only one who understands the byline for your most recent post. thanks for that.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it'll be good to see you back in the bay area.

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude! you're impending ariaval stokes the fire in my heart. in reply to the anonymous poster above i say: i never ever heard of cluster flies. one

 

Post a Comment

<< Home