Gone Fishin'

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A moment of respite


So due to a shortage of salmon they have temporarily closed the season for a few days and so
I have a few days in Sitka to relax. I did manage to land the one above before they cut us off. Sorry the last post was only and update from my subconscious but I had a couple of friends in town and didn't have time for a complete update.

So as I mentioned my friends, Dave and Julia, were in Sitka. Through a stroke of luck they just so happened to stop in Sitka during their Alaskan vacation on one of my few days in town. We only had the better part of an afternoon and evening together but we made the most of it and ate and drank well out of all of our budgets. It sure was good to be amongst the company of good friends if only only for a short time.

Now I have two trips out to sea to cover. The week before my last stop in Sitka has been one of our best so far as we averaged over a hundred fish a day. Not as good as it could be but in light of the previous weeks not all that bad. The last trip out was short due to bad weather and the season closure but we made out with a few fish. Last time in town Nina, Ron's wife, flew into town and she came out with us he last few days. She brought a long a host of political mags and the New Yorker, which I read instead of fiction. I have decided it is impossible to be both well informed and well read. Call me an escapist but I think I will stick to fiction. The real world is just too much. I did manage to read Leaves of Grass, and I will agree with you Alex. It was one of the best pieces of literature I have read. More than anything else it inspired a little belief in the skeptic.

Now for lack of words I will bombard you with pictures. They stretch back a month or so.

















First my left hand that I was moaning about. It's not pretty folks. Below is a moon rising over the Fair Weather Grounds where we caught many a King Salmon late into the evening. Not easy to get a night shot on a rocking boat.

Stretching way back here is a shot of the reservoir above the damn on the Elwha River in Olympic National Park. the damn is one of the many reasons for Washington's decline in Salmon spawning grounds.





Damn formatting is impossible without using HTML! Anyway here is Dave and I in the hold where I put the fish. Foolishly I did not get Dave and Julia together.I will conclude with a shot of the port side of the boat coming out of Icy Strait . We are heading to the North and off to the east is Glacier Bay and the magnificent mountains and glaciers that make up Glacier National Park. The setting sun precluded shots of the glaciers unfortunately.I am going to make the rounds on the telephone tonight so if you are reading this make sure and turn the damn thing on and keep it charged or you are going to miss one of the rare opportunities to hear the the sweet sounds of my voice. Until next time then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home